2018 New Year’s Cleaning Resolution
5 quick and easy-to-follow tips for maintaining a cleaner house in 2018.
We all have good intentions for change at the beginning of a new year.
‘I will get out more, I will get a better job, I will save for a holiday, I will write that novel, and I will exercise for an hour everyday and lose 20 kilos!’
Sound familiar? It’s easy to make such promises to ourselves, but more often than not, they end up in the too hard basket. You know . . . that massive imaginary basket you lug around with you? The one filled with all your greatest dreams and desires. Yep, that’s the one. It takes motivation and dedication to make a new habit stick.
‘Ain’t nobody got time for that!’
When it comes to big, life changing resolutions—like losing 20 kilos—we don’t see immediate results, and living in a world of instant gratification, we often give up before we even get started. This is why successful people say the key to making lasting change is to start small.
When it comes to cleaning the house, some people wait until DEFCON 1 before even thinking about tidying up. Then the herculean task ahead puts them in a depressive mood until they finally succumb to the pressure and struggle through.
‘There has got to be a better way!’
Not only is there a better way, it’s the perfect place to start building on your resolutions for 2018. If you can nail the below cleaning habits, you will be well on your way to achieving your bigger goals in the coming year.
Remember, sometimes it’s the smallest things that make the biggest difference.
- The one-touch rule: Put it away right away. Example, if you are finished with a dirty towel, put it in the hamper not on the floor.
- Challenge accepted: Make the cleaning interesting and time the task. Are you ready for the Household Olympics?
- I’m clean, you’re clean: Keep your Vileda Scrub Magic in the bathroom and give the shower a quick once over while you’re in it.
- Best foot forward: Make your bed first thing in the morning. Starting the day with an achievement programs your mind for success.
- Pump up the volume: Nothing beats the cleaning blues like music. Create a playlist of your favourite tunes and get moving!